4/19/2006

Revelation for your Blog?

We sometimes speak of the right to receive revelation in the church. We believe that Gordon B. Hinkley is a prophet and has been called, sustained, and set-apart for this calling. We believe that he has received priesthood keys which allow him the privilege, right, responsibility and authority to receive revelation for the entire church. The First Presidency and Quorum of Twelve Apostles and other General Authorities have also been called, sustained, and set-apart for their callings. They either have, or act under the direction of those who have, priesthood keys and also have the privilege, right, responsibility and authority to receive revelation as the act in their calling.


On the local level, Stake Presidents are given priesthood keys, and are called, sustained, and set-apart for their callings. They therefore have the privilege, right, responsibility and authority to receive revelation as they serve in their callings locally. Likewise bishops are given priesthood keys, as are Elder Quorum Presidents, Teachers Quorum Presidents and Deacons Quorum Presidents. These individuals, their presidencies, auxiliary presidencies, officers and teachers who serve in the church, are all called, sustained, and set-apart in their callings. They act under the direction of those who hold priesthood keys and have the privilege, right, responsibility and authority to receive revelation as they serve in their callings.

Getting this so far? I know its a little repetitive, redundant, and repetitive. It's a literary style I am using to drive the point home. Effective isn't it?

Also individuals and families have the privilege, right, responsibility and authority to receive revelation for their own lives and the decisions they make. This is personal revelation, and it does not require priesthood keys or being called, sustained or set-apart. It just is. But it is intended to be personal.

So what about a Blog? As far as I know none of us have been given priesthood keys in regard to our blogs. We have not been called, sustained or set-apart for this. It is not a calling. So is it personal? Once we publish this on the Internet is it no longer completely personal. Do we have any claim on the privilege, right, responsibility and authority for revelation for our blogs?

I admit that I sometimes ponder and pray about my blog. Not always, but sometimes. I have at times felt inspired about what to write and how to right it in the vauge, general way the spirit often seems to work. Do I imagine this? Do I have any right to revelation for my blog that I publish without priesthood keys and without being called, sustained or set-apart?

9 Comments:

At 4/20/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

RT: Thanks for reading this and for your comment. I agree with you on this scripture.

Part of my underlying thought that was not expressed was how seriously should we take our own blogs, and the blogs of others? IS it the stuff of revelation or just fluff? My guess is a little of one and a lot of the other.

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger Brenda said...

If you define revelation as any communication from God to his children, then you could include a substantial amount of information:

“The Father, Son and Holy Ghost, as one God, are the fountain of truth. From this fountain all the ancient learned philosophers have received their inspiration and wisdom—from it they have received all their knowledge. If we find truth in broken fragments through the ages, it may be set down as an incontrovertible fact that it originated at the fountain, and was given to philosophers, inventors, patriots, reformers, and prophets by the inspiration of God. It came from him through his Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost, in the first place, and from no other source. It is eternal” (Smith, Gospel Doctrine, 30).

“The philosophy of the heavens and the earth of the worlds that are, that were, and that are yet to come into existence, is all the Gospel that we have embraced. Every true philosopher, so far as he understands the principles of truth, has so much of the Gospel, and so far he is a Latter-day Saint, whether he knows it or not. Our Father, the great God, is the author of the sciences, he is the great mechanic, he is the systematizer of all things, he plans and devises all things, and every particle of knowledge which man has in his possession is the gift of God” (Brigham Young, Discourses of Brigham Young, 2–3)


So a lot of secular knowledge could be included. But I'm not sure if this is what your question is about :-)

We also have to keep in mind the limits placed on revelation. For example, we can't receive revelation for those outside of our spheres of authority. So while we can get revelation regarding our own families, if we think that we can write a post that attempts to offer God's word to the masses, (unless we happen to be a prophet) we might be a little out of line!

I think that sharing experiences and insights without being heavy-handed about it makes for more better blogging. I do take what some bloggers say much more seriously than others, and I think what I perceive their motives to be has a lot to do with that.

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger Brenda said...

Ouch- "for more better"

I meant "for better" ...

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

Wow C, these are great quotes that speak right to what I was thinking of. I had heard these quotes before, probably even used them, but had not applied them to this issue.

I really like your 'heavy-handed' phrase there. I think that is pretty key to this whole thing. I have witnessed posts that seemed that way and were terned off by them.

Thanks again.

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger Kristian said...

When I fast, pray and study the gospel, I recieve Revelation that enlightens my understanding of God ans The Savior. If I choose to write what I learned in a journal and pass it on to future generations, they benefit from my experience. In the same way, one can recieves personal Revelation that clarifies the Gospel during their own study and share it in a Gospel Doctrine class. Writing things that the Spirit has taught you about the Gospel on a blog isn't that far of a stretch. One's blog doesn't speak with authority as to be taken as canon, but a hearfelt testimony always uplifts.

 
At 4/22/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, if we live worthy of it, and pray for it, we have the right to revelation in anything we do. But don't forget that we are capable of thinking and reasoning on our own. God already knows anything we may come up with but I think we discover a lot of things by ourselves. The Lord himself tells us that we are "agents unto ourselves" and "can do many things of our own free will." We are counselled to "study it out in our minds" and then ask him if it be right. So I believe that we can receive revelation but that much of what we come up with is out of our own minds based on what we have experienced, read, heard, or thought.

 
At 4/22/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

Kristian and Dad:

Thanks for your additions here. Hopefully we are all on the right track.

 
At 4/22/2006, Blogger Bookslinger said...

Eric, I love the footer on your blog:

Now you may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise. (Alma 37:6)

Small and simple impressions about where/when to shop, where to eat, and what sequence to do things, can indeed bring greater things to pass.

We have to be careful how we word the rule about not receiving revelation "for" others. We don't have the right to tell others, who are not in our scope of authority, what to do. But we can receive personal revelation for serving others who are not in our scope of authority.

I have dozens of stories where I believe the Spirit prompted me to be at a certain place at a certain time, and good things happened with the complete strangers whom I encountered.

 
At 4/27/2006, Blogger Tigersue said...

I look at it this way, I try to keep my blog fairly positive, I don't want to bash or flame others, I want someone to walk away either feeling good that they came to my spot, or walk away with something to think about and ponder. It might be a place where my testimony can perhaps touch someone that can't hear the sound of my voice. Do I think others have to take words of wisdom from me or my personal values to their own. No, that would be out of bounds, but as a testimony it is no different than sharing it at church or with that stranger sitting next to me on a bus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

link to MA