3/22/2006

My Second Honeymoon with the Bloggernacle

Some of you may remember me writing a post called 'My Bloggernacle Honeymoon is Over' about two months ago. At the time the initial excitement about finding the Bloggernacle was finished and I was questioning the value of the entire experience up to that point. I was sincerely at the verge of ending the experience and doing something else with my small amount of free time. I was expressing two areas of value at that time - the value I was getting from the Bloggernacle and the value I was contributing to the Bloggernacle.

Well, it has been two months, a very long time in Blog years, and I am still as 'active' as ever, maybe more so. What has helped me decide to stick around? Actually, several things.

I received quite a bit more response than I ever imagined. Some from very unexpected sources. It made me aware that even though comments were low, I was not as ignored as I thought. Since then I installed a site meter. This allows me to see how many people visit the site. When I don't post for a few days visits go down to single digits, when I post something visits may go up to between 50-100. So it appears to be a legitimate thing. Don't tell me if it is not.

I received lots of good advice. One piece was from Stapely who said to write for yourself. Since then I have looked at this site as a type of open journal. I have never kept much of a journal, even on my mission. Perhaps this will be part of the record I leave behind. Perhaps my kids will one day find this of value to them.

When I first found the MA, I tried to read everything from everybody. Yes, I am serious. Since then I have become much more discriminating about what I read. There are a handful of sites that I read pretty much everything they put out. A few sites that I read stuff that catches my eye. And a few sites I may never read again, depending on the guest blogger. This has perhaps lowered the total value I get because of good stuff that I miss, but has greatly increased the value per hour.

Then I was asked to guest blog at Blogger of Jared and to become a permanent part of their group. This was unbelievably flattering to me. I confess to sometimes feeling a lack of acceptance in this Blog world. Much of that comes from issues within me. But this invitation came from out of the blue. I am not a real-life friend or relative of either Wade or Ryan. It appears they felt I had something of value to contribute. What an honor for me.

I admit that I was a little worried about the 'orthodox' label that BofJ was going through at the time. And that perhaps that label was a dirty word on the Bloggernacle. Perhaps any negative perception of that label would reflect on me. I have decided not to worry about it and just be myself and see what happens. Besides, I am a fairly conservative dude who is very supportive of the church and its leaders anyway.

I have been pleased with my experience at the BofJ and here. I have decided to do both. I am very excited about the whole thing and look forward to the experience.

So, I think going on a second honeymoon with the Bloggernacle is a good idea. Where would you like to go?

11 Comments:

At 3/22/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

Oh, and I even bought a MA T-shirt!

 
At 3/23/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers, dude!

 
At 3/23/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(t-shirt: Which one did you get? I've been dying to score a "we're tight like unto a dish" one for ages. I won't feel like such a geek, knowing you have one, too.)

I'm glad you stuck around. The 'nacle's value would definitely be decreased were you to leave, in my opinion.

 
At 3/23/2006, Blogger annegb said...

I'm thinking New England in the fall. Let's all go. A cruise, maybe???

I try to go on all the MA and LDS select sites, too, but it gets overwhelming and I get lost and I find such good stuff and forget where it was. This time, I saved your site.

I think I'll enjoy this site very much.

 
At 3/23/2006, Blogger Brenda said...

Eric, You deserve the good response that you've been getting. I think what you (and the guys at B of J) have to say is filling a gap that existed before.
So here's a sparkling grape-juice toast to your second honeymoon.

 
At 3/23/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

Thanks J.

Naiah - I got the simple white like a dish thing. Thanks for your continued support.

Rusty - Thanks, that means a lot to me.

Annegb - I hope you come by occasionally.

C - Thanks for the celebration image! I'm glad you still pass by, always good to hear from you.

 
At 3/23/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Eric. Second and third and fourth honeymoons with the 'nacle are inevitable, IMHO. The bloggernacle is a rollercoaster. Sounds like you are going to make it a better place to be.

annegb, it's always a honeymoon in New England.

skl

 
At 3/23/2006, Blogger Ryan said...

Well I guess since we are co-bloggers... i should probably say.. you know.. something nice here or something.......sigh......

Just Kidding. We have been stoked to have you at BoJ. (Someone's gotta add some dignity to that debacle.) You certainly earned your place.

 
At 3/23/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

Anonymous:

Yes, I have noticed the roller coaster sensations. Thanks for the kind words.

Ryan:

Actually the dignity thing was about the best thing you could have said. Thank you very much.

 
At 3/24/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

Roasted:

Yeah, I still read your stuff. Much of it I feel unprepared to comment on. Thank you.

 
At 3/25/2006, Blogger Stephen said...

Glad you are finding better balance and purpose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

link to MA