3/01/2006

Hold on Loosely, but Don't Let Go II

Hold on Loosely, but Don't Let Go.

I have another thought on this principle, completely different from the last.

I have never had any problems with regards to anti-mormon literature. The only problem I have is that it seems to affect other people sometimes. I have tried to think what makes me immune so far. I think it partly has to do with holding loosely to many aspects of the gospel without letting go.

There are a few anchors to my testimony. Existence of God, divinity of Jesus Christ, atonement, resurrection, scriptures are things that I cling to tightly. Almost everything else in the gospel I hold on loosely, but don't let go. With this approach strange statements attributed to Brigham Young, historical problems with the Book of Mormon, Lamanite DNA issues, etc. have little to no affect on me. I don't have all the information, and don't know anyone who does. Why get bent out of shape because of this stuff? Things held in your hand loosely typically will not get bent.

It seems there is some wisdom here, even though I may not have expressed it well. If anyone has any quotes, scriptures, or thoughts on this I would be glad to hear about them. This is a new idea for me.

2 Comments:

At 3/02/2006, Blogger Elizabeth Johnson said...

Hold on Loosely, but Don't Let Go 1 and 2 struck a heart string with me. It is not an easy thing to do, but it is so important! M. Russell Ballard's talk - "One More" at last April conference has a great story about a man trying to lead a horse and how the horse would just fall over every time he tried to lead it - here's a small quote:
"His wife, watching this process, finally suggested that instead of getting in front of the colt and pulling, he might try wrapping the rope around the colt and simply walking alongside. To my friend’s chagrin, it worked."
Since hearing that talk I have tried harder to "walk beside" my children, rather than tightening my hold on them. Less tension - good.

 
At 3/02/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

Wow. Thank you for your thoughts on this. I'm glad this was meaninful to somebody.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

link to MA