2/18/2006

My First Guest Blogger: My Dad!

My father has sent me an article he wrote a few years ago that I will be posting in a day or two. Allow me to tell you a little about my dad first.

My father, John Nielson, grew up in a partially active family in southern Utah. Somehow he made it through the ranks of the Aaronic Priesthood and served a mission in Australia. He went to college at BYU, the University of Utah and University of Indiana earning a Master's degree in Geography. He and my mother served in the Peace Corps together and taught school in Tanzania Africa for a few years. His career was spent teaching Geography and a few religion classes at Ricks College. He received grants that allowed him to spend time in Brazil, Pakistan and the Soviet Union as part of his career development. He served for about six years in a bishopric and about nine years in a Stake Presidency. He has served in many other callings, recently as High Priest Group Leader and Gospel Doctrine teacher. He has done quite a bit of writing including the text book that was used for his geography class. He is an avid chess player and occasionally plays in state tournaments. He started a chess club in Rexburg Idaho and wrote a weekly chess column in a local newspaper.

As you will see he can bring an interesting world view to the gospel, and I am very pleased to introduce him to you. I am certain that you will find his article quite interesting, and I look forward to your comments.

3 Comments:

At 2/18/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A hearty "welcome" to Eric's dad.

 
At 2/18/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, welcome. However, everybody knows that Purdue is the place to go to school in Indiana.

 
At 2/19/2006, Blogger Keryn said...

What an amazing description of your father's life. It sounds like he has some of the experiences I hope I will have someday. I'm looking forward to his post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

link to MA