1/04/2006

Best Chapter in Scripture? 2 Nephi 2

My favorite chapter in all of scripture so far is 2 Nephi 2. I first started considering this chapter as my favorite when Hartman Rector Jr. (remember him?) came to my mission and spoke. He opened up some time for questions and an Elder asked him what his favorite chapter in the scriptures was and without hesitation Elder Rector gave 2 Nephi 2 as his favorite. He also said that many general authorities would feel the same way. Since that time I have read this chapter several times and have convinced myself that this may indeed be the best chapter in the scriptures. I would like to provide a small and simple review.

This chapter appears to be a final conversation, and perhaps even a fathers blessing, from Lehi to his son Jacob. As such I believe there is a special feeling associated with this chapter.

We learn that Jacob must have been a visionary man, much like his father since Jacob had visions and had seen Christ in his youth.

This chapter has great explanations regarding the atonement of Jesus Christ, and supports the idea that a significant part of the atonement was to allow Christ to provide a perfect judgment (see verses 6-10 and here.).

This is the chapter that explains the law of opposites, and that there must be opposition in all things. How often have we heard that idea stated? This law of opposites provides a fairly compelling argument for the existence of God. And also provides some of the logical conclusions that must be drawn if one believes that there is not a God.

This is also a great chapter on establishing free agency as an eternal truth with great statements like ‘free to act for themselves and not be acted upon’. GeoffJ at the Thang quotes this quite a bit I would not be surprised if he would rank this chapter among the best as well.

I like the wording of verse 17 where it seems that Lehi is making a logical speculation about the fall of Satan. Would this concept have been in the brass plates? Or was Lehi making a speculation that turned out right?

We get some of the best and most clear doctrine regarding the fall of Adam in this chapter in verses 18-25 with the often quoted phrase – Adam fell that man might be, and men are that they might have joy. Again a frequently quoted verse.

Lehi ends this with a statement that lets us know that he was purely motivated since he had no other object except for the welfare of your souls. I think the same could be said of all prophets.

To me this is pretty compelling evidence that 2 Nephi 2 has to be considered among the best chapters in all of scripture.

4 Comments:

At 1/04/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

Thanks for your comment RT.

 
At 1/06/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading 2 Nephi 2 is a joy, I read it twice during this last read-through. I used to think of opposition as a bad thing- someone or something opposing what I wanted- or sickness, or trials. But in v.11 it says an opposition in all things-- not just having trials, but experiencing opposites of all kinds. We couldn't see anything if it was all dark, or all light.

 
At 1/06/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right that I think thisis one of the most valuable chapters of scripture we have. It actually gives us more unique theological pointers than most other full books of scripture in my opinion.

 
At 1/10/2006, Blogger Kim Siever said...

My favourite is seven chapters later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

link to MA