12/16/2005

The Liahona: A Hymn I Wrote

That's right, I wrote a hymn about two years ago called The Liahona. Feel free to put it on your piano and play it if you like. I would be glad to get any feedback anyone has about it. You can hear the music here. I sent it in to the Ensign (how naive can I be?) and of course they don't have time or space for that sort of thing.

I wanted to write a hymn about the Liahona because as far as I know there wasn't one. We have a hymn called The Iron Rod, but no Liahona. Figures.

Writing this hymn was a good experience for me. I spent a couple of Sunday afternoons writing down every term, definition and phrase that I could find in the Book of Mormon regarding the Liahona. I then planned out the lyrics in what seemed like a logical sequence. I spent a few days picking out the music on our piano, writing down notes on paper. I then came across a shareware composing software and put it on the computer. After I was finished I submitted it to our bishop and requested doing the song as part of a sacrament meeting. On the weekend of my #2 son's baptism, when my parents came, a quartet performed the song in our sacrament meeting. It was a special moment for me.

Anyone else ever tried their hand at writing a hymn?

2 Comments:

At 1/31/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't the Ensign have a music contest each year? You could submit it to that.

 
At 2/25/2008, Blogger Acegrace said...

Eric, I have never composed a hymn but I like the melody as a ward chorister and the words as a poet and gospel student. Good job!
I'm sure the Ensign has many submissions and cannot publish them all. But do submit again for their annual arts competition as I think this is a good effort.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

link to MA