11/15/2006

Sending Parents on a Mission

My parents went into the MTC this week in preparation for their mission to Kenya. In a way I feel like I am sending them on their mission. But why should this be? I am not funding their mission. And we have not lived in the same time zone for more than a decade. Sure we talk on the phone every few weeks, and send a few emails, but we can still do that after they leave. So why do I feel the way I do?

It may be that I have a sense of empathy for what they are about to do. My heart goes with them. Oh, how I wish I could observe them in action! Pictures and emails will be great, but not like the real thing. What an exciting time!

The retired geography professor and the local librarian, the long time stake presidency and bishopric member and the multi-term relief society president and young women's leader, the former peace corps workers returning to the same area after 45 years. A compelling call. The perfect call for the people, the perfect people for the call.

Have a good mission mom and dad.

6 Comments:

At 11/16/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, wow...Perfect is right.

I'm guessing that this is their first full-time mission as a couple?

What an exciting place to serve... I may be romanticizing it in a way, but I hope that Rob and I get to do something similar someday.

 
At 11/16/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

Thanks Naiah.

Yes, this is their first. Maybe only.

From what I understand they will be doing leadership training to wards and branches in the mission.

 
At 11/17/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I don't know your parents, but I'm pretty sure that one can catch a 'missionary bug;' as a couple. The couple missionaries who baptized me once upon a time are, this very minute on what I believe is mission #5 together at the London Temple! how cool is that?

 
At 11/17/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

very cool.

 
At 11/22/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric - your parents arrived here in Nairobi safe and sound last night. We put them through their paces their first full day, and we're thrilled to have them here. Other than the normal jet-lag they're fine, and after spending Thanksgiving with us here in the mission home they'll be heading up to Kitale on Friday. Thanks for sharing them with us.

President Barger

 
At 11/22/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

President Barger?!

WOW! A mission president knows about and commented on my blog!

I am honored by this. I really look forward to hearing from my parents and publishing some pictures and stories here. I wish I could have gone with them, but I have other responsibilities at the moment.

Again, thanks so much for your comment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

link to MA